I’m pretty excited about my new crochet project! It came about suddenly….one of those ideas that wasn’t planned but that just started as an experiment….and now, Adopt-a-Creature is a new section in my Etsy store.
Each creature comes with a name and an attached story speaking to their personality/likes/dislikes/etc.
This all began because….about a month ago….I sat down and decided to crochet some amigurumi.
I had been working on some large projects, shawls and the like, but that morning I decided to focus on something small. Something that I could complete quickly (well, quicker than a shawl at least) and feel good about doing.
Yesterday, B and I drove to the Ottawa Valley from Toronto. It’s about a 5 hour drive, a drive we have done many times before and I decided to focus on crocheting and knitting the whole way…just to see how much I could do.
It wasn’t for speed necessarily…I didn’t want to go as fast as possible and have errors in my work…but it was more for the challenge of the whole thing. Not to mention, I will be vending at the Hamilton Pagan Harvest Festival in a couple of weeks and so, more stock? …that’s a good thing!
I didn’t get through as much as I expected, but still, it was a productive trip! And hey, we have a five-hour drive coming up on Monday as we head home so I have another chance to beat this record! (It also means I can’t take a turn driving…..Shhhhhh!)
So, I worked on a bunch of cup cozies to start. They’re straightforward and simple so I made half a dozen during the first couple hours of the trip.
At the end of hour 2, the Muse took a moment to drop an idea my way. Maybe cup cozies aren’t “cup” cozies at all….maybe they’re arm-cozies!
So, I’m still mulling over that idea, but I like the patchwork feel of attaching a variety of colours and patterns together to make arm warmers 🙂
After that epiphany and the completion of half a dozen cozies, I moved on to a pair of long fingerless gloves.
I have to admit that I cheated here…somewhat. One glove was already finished and the other was about 1/3 of the way so I completed an ongoing project. Didn’t actually make the two gloves within the 5-hr limit.
Pretty happy with them although they aren’t complete yet. They still require some ties … pics to come.
Lastly, as we pulled up to my mother-in-laws house, I finished a knitted row of a bulky cowl which is now about 1/3 of the way finished.
As a sidenote, I just bought those knitting needles in the picture above. They are 25mm and they are FANTASTIC!
They make this hollow wooden clunky sound as I knit, which I kind of like, and they also double as a vampire stake…you know, just in case!
I have spent a lot of time looking for asymmetrical crochet patterns online and I have a pretty good library now of possibilities. Not sure why but such shapes are more pleasing to my eye than the typical triangular shawls…as much as I like making those!
Most recently, I have also learned that asymmetry affects the resulting variegation from dyed yarn…unexpected, but makes sense.
A few weeks ago, I was on the hunt for a new pattern. I wanted something easy and brainless. A pattern I could memorize and work on in the car, while travelling, or while relaxing and watching the last season of House.
So easy to make! A simple sc/ch/ch/sc repetition that created a gorgeous and dense (almost knit-like) fabric. I used a sock yarn, Blue Faced Leicester and nylon blend, which I chose due to the gorgeous popping colours!
What I didn’t realize was that the variegation would slowly change due to the increasing width of the body of the scarf. You can see the change in the above picture. The initial tail (top of pic) has some very short, repetitious strips of colour. They start to fan out slightly until they culminate in three large spots in the middle. From there, the variegation thins out even more and takes on a more edgy, jagged striping pattern.
Worth noting for future projects….asymmetry will affect the variegated results.
Overall, I continue to quite like the result. It’s chic and classy!