EDIT: The original cloth pattern was for a washcloth. The cotton I used is soft enough for that, but I was thinking dishcloth when I made them. Multi-use! (Although I would suggest picking one or the other)
When I’m planning a trip, one of the biggest challenges I come up against is “which projects to bring along?”
Notice I said “Projects” not “project” because one will simply not do! I like to think I’m a pretty focused individual but when it comes to my yarn projects, I need to have a variety of things on the go. Often, I find myself bouncing back and forth between two or three of them in an evening.
So, going away for a week…or even just three days as we did this past weekend, brings with it some hard decision making. 😉
We got back late last night from a weekend away visiting family. Three days isn’t all that long, so I tried to pack light. Amanda-lite, which is very different than all other people’s version of “lite”. Just ask B. He’ll tell you.
So, I pack a couple of ongoing projects: a Stephen West shawl that has been in progress for quite some time, a version of Hélène Magnusson’s Spring Shawl that continues to be in progress (even though it came all the way with me to Iceland where I learned much about knitting it, and yet didn’t get much actual knitting done on it!), and a couple of balls of cotton yarn.
The cotton yarn was for dish/wash cloths.
Simple, square-shaped, purl/knit, mindless knitting. Sometimes, that’s what you need.
Sometimes, you have to put down the complicated “**knit 381, wrap twice, knit 63, K2TOG, YO, YO, SSK, purl 145, do a little dance, don’t pull all your hair out, repeat**” fibre project and pick up the “knit across, turn, purl, turn, sigh with relief” project.
Dish/wash cloths are that. Little sighs of relief amongst the GRRRRRR. (Granted, if you’re GRRRRing all the time while working on fibre arts projects…that isn’t good either. Just saying.)
So I brought a couple balls of cotton and made two cloths.
The first was from a simple online pattern.
I like how it turned out. Lovely little dragonfly, all created with knit/purl stitches and little to no GRRRness. 🙂
As I approached my second one, I decided that I wanted to create a Goddess pattern. I googled images of Goddesses and found a couple that I thought would work. Then, I had to spend some time on Photoshop to create a chart.
Okay, so there was a wee bit more frustration in this particular process. 😉
BUT…it turned out awesome in the end!
She’s a little taller than I had planned so the cloth is a bit more rectangular but still lovely and useful!
I have had a few people ask about the Goddess pattern. I have a really rough paper chart with scribbles and erase marks on hand. I just need to find some time to sit down and create a proper chart on my computer.
Until then, I already have other ideas in mind for dish & wash cloths. Going to hold onto them for those in-between days when I need a sigh of relief. *wink*